The doctors missed it! A child patient presented to the emergency room with complaints of abdominal pain, cramping, diarrhea and vomiting. At the emergency room she was told that it was probably the stomach bug that was going around. She was discharged with the instructions of get rest and drink plenty of clear fluids.
The symptoms continued for another 3 days. At that time, the child’s parents contacted the child’s pediatrician. The pediatrician who only listened to the patient’s mother describe the symptoms verbally and never examined the patient. The pediatrician suggested that the emergency room was probably correct and the patient should get better in a few days.
FOLLOWED MEDICAL ADVICE BUT DID NOT GET BETTER
The child remained home from school during this time and the symptoms persisted. She was taken back to the emergency room. This time at the emergency room a stool sample was taken after blood was located. Her diagnosis at this time was gastroenteritis. She was sent home with medications and the advice to rest and drink plenty of fluids.
The medical advice was followed and after a few more days the child’s symptoms still remained.
THE DOCTORS MISSED IT RESULTING IN BURST APPENDIX
On the 3rd morning following the gastroenteritis diagnosis, the child was unable to move. The child was taken by ambulance to the emergency room. After a battery of tests and scans were ran, a perforation in the child’s appendix was noted. However, by this time the appendix leak had caused an onset of an infection. There was a total of 10 days between the time the child first complained at the emergency room and when her appendix was removed. The doctors missed it.
THE DELAY CAUSED AN INFECTION AND LENGTHY HOSPITAL STAY
Due to the delay in diagnosis the patient had to undergo surgery and have her appendix removed. In addition the patient developed a peritonitis infection and a drainage tube had to be inserted so the leaking infectious material could be removed from the patient’s abdominal cavity. Also a portion of the digestive tract had to be removed due to the infection.
A peritonitis infection, if left untreated, could lead to sepsis or even death.
If you or a loved one has suffered from a situation similar to this or your suspect that your diagnosis and/or treatment was delayed, you should give us a call at 301-850-4832.
Boston Law Group, LLC
2 Wisconsin Circle
Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815